Metro Drug Coalition, Inc.
Regional Overdose Prevention Specialist
Closing Date: August 19, 2020
Metro Drug Coalition (MDC) is a non-profit organization that serves as the drug abuse prevention, professional training and public awareness arm of Knoxville and Knox County.
Mission: To improve the health of the greater Knoxville community by reducing the use of alcohol and drugs through policy, systems and environment change
Vision: A healthy and safe Knoxville community free of alcohol and drug misuse
Title of Position: Regional Overdose Prevention Specialist (ROPS)
Description of duties and responsibilities:
The Full-time Overdose Prevention Specialist (Nurse/Peer Support Specialist) will be responsible for conducting information trainings, outreach, providing naloxone trainings, and track naloxone distribution in various communities throughout Knoxville/Knox County. The person shall be an independent Subcontractor and no employee/employer relationship shall be formed. As a result of this agreement, no healthcare benefits or other employee benefits shall be provided the Subcontractor, who will receive a 1099-Misc and will be responsible for their own federal tax payments. The position is totally contingent upon grant funding.
- Provide trainings to medical professionals, law enforcement, pharmacists, treatment providers, key stakeholders, and lay persons on topics such as best practices for prescribing opioids, pain management, recognizing potential cases of substance use disorder, referrals to treatment programs, chronic pain management without opioids, signs and symptoms of overdose, preventing overdose. Trainings will be in the form of medical forums and town hall meetings.
- ROPS will utilize evidence based resources including, but not limited to the CDC Opioid Prescribing Guidelines, SAMSHA’s Overdose Prevention Toolkit, Harm Reduction’s Guide to Developing and Managing Overdose Prevention and Take-Home Naloxone Projects, Stanford’s Chronic Pain Self-Management Program, and the Good Samaritan Law.
- Conducts individual and group training sessions to educate and distribute Naloxone kits to individuals in the community who are affected by opiate use and overdose
- Conducts outreach in the communities of Region 2 to promote the Opioid Overdose Prevention Program and its services
- Through outreach efforts to other non-profits and community organizations, provides training to individuals regarding naloxone use
- Completes all required documentation to track all trainings delivered and kits distributed
- Participates in strategic planning for outreach and promotion of the overdose prevention program
- Conducts trainings in a variety of environments, including traditional and non-traditional settings (i.e. housing programs, faith based settings)
- Responsible for networking with other organizations who are in need of Naloxone trainings
- May be assigned other tasks and duties reasonably related to their job responsibilities
Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Must have excellent communication and decision making skills
- Must be able to multi-task in a busy setting in presence of client community
- Must be a team player and have a strong work ethic
- Must be flexible, open to new ideas, creative and energetic
- Must be able to conduct trainings in the presence of large groups ranging from 5-50
- Must be able to prioritize and multi-task
- Navigate and negotiate through difficult situations
- Ability to communicate with all levels of individuals within the community
- Responsible for maintaining confidentiality of all participants
- Exercise good judgment in referring clients to appropriate professional staff when a problem warrants clinical intervention
- Be able to conduct oneself in a professional matter at all times
- Must be able to travel
- Must be able to climb stairs and carry up to 30lbs
For persons interested in applying for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume no later than Wednesday, August 19th by emailing Karen Pershing at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Metro Drug Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.